Louie's Tux Shop is a wedding attire business based in Indiana. Since 1948, this company has been serving soon-to-be...Read more newlywed clients as they have prepared for life's precious milestones. With 17 locations throughout Indiana and an affiliation with the International Formalwear Association, they are...
Blush Bridal is a wedding dress boutique located in Newport News, Virginia. We pride ourselves on providing one-on-one...Read more personalized service in a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. Clients who come to our retail outlet can choose from numerous beautiful styles in various sizes. From romantic lace...
Patty's Apparel and Bridal is a wedding gown boutique located in Quincy, Michigan. The personable staff strives to give...Read more each to-be-wed a truly unique and enjoyable shopping experience. They have hundreds of gowns in stock, with off-the-rack options available in various styles to suit all tastes,...
In New Castle, Indiana, A Moment in Time Bridal is a wedding dress business where you can go to buy the dress of your...Read more dreams. The talented consultants at this establishment understand that every wedding is unique, and a client's outfit for the day should reflect that. They have been in business...
Brides N' Belles Bridal Boutique is a wedding dress store located in Reedsburg, Wisconsin. Specializing in all things...Read more wedding dress-related, this family-owned and operated business has more than 35 years of experience in the wedding industry. With their extensive collection of gowns and the...
The Bridal Boutique at Always a Bridesmaid is the ultimate one stop shop! We are located in Tottenville at 7233 Amboy...Read more Rd Staten Island, NY 10307 718-227-8647 We feature a large selection of Bridal Gowns, Bridesmaid Dresses, Mother's/Evening gowns, Flower girl/Communion Dresses, Junior Bridesmaid...
Certified master cleaners Vogue Cleaners have been restoring wedding gowns in San Francisco, California since 1946....Read more Their focus is truly on customer satisfaction, as can be seen in their wedding gown cleaning process, where they allow you to inspect their work before the preservation is completed....
Cheryl A. Lofton & Associates is a premier, 3rd Generation, full-service tailoring shop in Washington, DC. The Lofton's...Read more have been a part of the wedding industry since 1939, specializing in alterations and custom made pieces for the entire wedding party. Check out our social media! @LoftonSalonDC Our...
Lily's Bridal is a wedding dress service based in Halethorpe, Maryland. The boutique began in 2007 and is named after my...Read more mom and my grandmom. From the day Lily's Bridal was formed in my heart the #1 goal was love. At Lily's Bridal, you will be appreciated and cared for in a supportive atmosphere. We...
Studio I Do Bridals in Virginia Beach, Virginia is a bridal store offering clients access to an array of bridal gowns,...Read more bridesmaids dresses, tuxedos and other attire and accessories. Founded and owned by Ashley Kimberly McAchran, this business is by appointment only, allowing for dedicated and...
Friar Tux specializes in tuxedos and suits for your special day. Whether you’re looking to rent or buy, one of the...Read more company's expert stylists can help you complete your wedding looks. The company has been in business since 1974, offering multiple showroom locations in the Inland Empire, San Diego,...
Located in Manassas, Virginia, Tang’s Bridal is a wedding dress and alterations shop that serves couples throughout...Read more Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland. Led by owner Xiao-Yin Byrom, the team strives to create an environment where you can indulge your inner radiance and enjoy a stress-free shopping...
The Dessy Group is a wedding dress boutique based in New York City, New York. The Dessy Group is a bridal boutique that...Read more specializes in bridesmaid dresses. The team of dress specialists at this boutique are dedicated to helping brides and bridal parties select the perfect, elegant bridesmaid dresses...
Downtown Bridal is a wedding attire boutique located in Salisbury, Maryland. Offering a wide array of gown styles,...Read more soon-to-be newlyweds are sure to find their dream dress here. Their professional and friendly wedding consultants strive to provide clients with a garment that matches their unique...
Memories Bridal is a family owned business that has been dressing brides for several years. Our goal is to make your...Read more dream wedding a Memory of a lifetime! Memories Bridal offers a large selection of bridal gowns to accommodate the budget of all brides. Every gown was personally selected to give our...
True Society by The White Dress is the premier bridal shop in Portland, offering affordable wedding dresses,...Read more personalized service and a range of designer gown styles and sizes. With curated wedding dress collections from our award-winning designer bridal labels and bridal gown samples in sizes...
Dalia’s Bridal is a dress and attire shop situated in Buffalo, New York. Finding a wedding gown is a big part of your...Read more wedding preparation, so this shop gives brides the opportunity to work one on one with a bridal stylist. Your bridal stylist will put your needs first and assist you as you browse...
Based out of Manassas, Virginia, and servicing the greater Washington DC metropolitan area, designer Irina of Fashion...Read more Irina specializes in creating custom wedding gowns. Irina is dedicated to providing an intimate and personalized full-service salon experience that is focused on meeting the needs of...
Located in Arlington, Virginia, Elim Boutique offers gorgeous wedding dresses. The owner, Jeanhee Chong, has more than...Read more 30 years of experience as a dressmaker and tailor. This expert and her team work closely with to-be-weds to design or fit an ideal wedding dress. Services Offered Jeanhee and the...
Located in Brookfield, Wisconsin, Richard Bennett Tailors is a boutique tailor that specializes in wedding suits and...Read more tuxedos. Established in 1961 by Elmer Miller, this family-owned and operated store offers clients expert fighting and guidance with a personal touch. Engaged couples can choose to...
Serafina Design is a dress boutique located in Williston Park, New York. A family-owned business for over 30 years, this...Read more boutique specializes in Mother of the Bride and Groom dresses and works to match moms with the perfect dress. The team at Serafina Design takes great pride in being able to help...
Ruthette's Bridal is a professional bridal boutique located in Canyon, Texas. Avery Pinkerton and Colette Lane, the...Read more owners of the boutique, are truly dedicated to their clients and will deliver unparalleled service. This boutique houses a vast collection of wedding gowns that caters to clients who...
A sister store to Honest in Ivory Bridal Shop... Dearly was created out of your need for a modern consignment bridal...Read more shop in Spokane. We know there are very few local options to resell the gorgeous gown you have loved so dearly, or options for brides with tight timelines or tighter budgets. Shopping...
Located in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, DayDream Bridal is a boutique that offers gorgeous wedding gowns and an unmatched...Read more shopping experience. Owner Hannah & her team of bridal experts offer an exclusive shopping experience for to-be-weds and their bridesmaids. Get ready to have some fun and find your...
How much does a wedding dress cost?
Buying a wedding dress is unlike purchasing a piece of everyday attire. You’re going to be wearing this dress on one of the most important days of your life, and so you’ll likely spend quite a bit of money on your wedding dress. While wedding dress prices do vary greatly, the average wedding dress cost in the U.S. is $1,000. It typically ranges from $280 to $1,650, but you can purchase a wedding dress for far above and below those prices.
- $ 100 or less Lower range
- $ 1,000 Average cost
- $ 280 - $ 1,650 Most couples spend between
- $ 2,600 or more Upper range
What impacts wedding dress prices?
What additional wedding dress costs should a bride plan for?
- Alterations: If you want to drastically change your wedding dress, your alterations may end up costing more than your actual wedding dress!
- Undergarments and accessories: Be sure to factor in your accessories— bridal undergarments, shoes, and more. These accessories will greatly affect how your gown looks and fits, so don’t forget to include them in your wedding dress cost.
- Cleaning and preservation: Don’t be surprised if you’re still spending money on your wedding dress after your wedding! Whether you plan on wearing your wedding dress again, passing it on to a future generation, or none of the above, it’s still a good idea to have your gown professionally cleaned and preserved. Wedding dress cleaning and preservation can cost $200 or more.
How can you save money on a wedding dress?
- Don’t try on dresses that are over-budget: Be upfront with your bridal salon consultant about your budgets—and be sure ask about the cost of each dress you try on. Avoid the temptation of trying on a wedding dress that’s out of your price range.
- Find a simple wedding dress, and accessorize: As mentioned, a simple and relatively unadorned wedding gown will cost less than an extremely detailed wedding dress. If you’re on a tight wedding dress budget, we recommend finding a simple gown and using a beaded sash or a brooch to give it some extra sparkle.
- Find a dress you love as is: Any significant alterations or customizations that you do to a wedding dress will cost (a lot of!) money. Therefore, if you want to make significant changes to a wedding dress (add sleeves, change the silhouette, etc.), that gown is probably not for you. Look for a wedding dress that you love mostly as it looks off the hanger.
- Scour sample sales: Many bridal salons offer sample sales where they sell sample dresses from past seasons. These sample dresses are typically in sizes 6 to 12, so if you fall in that size category, you may find a gorgeous gown at a low price at one of these sales.
- Visit trunk shows: If you’re set on purchasing a gown by a specific designer, you might find a deal at a trunk show. Trunk shows are when a bridal salon features the collection of a particular dress designer—and usually offers a discount (usually about 5 or 10 percent off that designer’s wedding dress prices). Research which salons in your area carry your favorite designers, and check their websites for upcoming trunk shows.
- Give yourself time to shop: A wedding dress can take several months to arrive after you’ve ordered it. Be sure to start shopping for your wedding dress as soon as possible —many brides shop at least nine months in advance, if not more. If you wait until the last minute, you may end up paying rush charges for your dress, which can greatly add to your total wedding dress cost.
How much does it cost to alter a wedding dress?
What questions should you ask a wedding dress tailor?
- How many fitting appointments will I need? How long will the process take?
- What types of alterations do you recommend for my wedding dress?
- Have you worked with a dress and fabric like mine before?
- Can you provide a cost for my alterations?
- How will you store my wedding dress?
- What do I need to bring to my first fitting appointment?
Wedding Dresses and Gowns
As you plan your wedding, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is your wedding dress. The dress you choose should reflect your unique style and personality and make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room. How does a bride say “yes” to that perfect dress? Here’s a quick guide to shopping for wedding dresses.
Set Your Budget
When you start browsing bridal gowns, it’s easy to fall in love no matter the price tag. Before you even pick up a bridal magazine, set a strict wedding dress budget. We suggest allocating around 10 percent of your overall wedding budget to your dress – and don’t forget to include the cost of your wedding accessories in that line item!
Narrow Down Your Style
About a year out from your wedding, start browsing bridal dresses and get a feel for how they match up with your style. Now is the time to educate yourself on silhouettes, necklines, fabrics and more. Our wedding dress style guide can help.
Once you’ve set your wedding date and chosen a venue, add these factors into your dress calculation. Are you marrying in the winter at a beautiful church? Then you might choose a dress with heavier fabric – like satin – in a more traditional silhouette like a ball gown or A-Line.
Book Wedding Dress Salons
About 10 to eight months before your wedding, it’s time to get boots (or heels) on the ground to start your wedding dress hunt. Consider wedding dress salons in your area and book appointments with your top choices – most salons do not allow walk-ins. Take a look at our complete wedding dress shopping guide to learn all the tips and tricks to finding the wedding dress of your dreams.
Trying on Bridal Dresses
As your salon appointments approach, assemble your fashion squad to give you feedback and moral support. Keep your posse small, as too many opinions can get overwhelming. When you arrive at the salon, your stylist will discuss your dress preferences and budget and help you choose options. Keep an open mind; your stylist knows what looks good on different body types. If your stylist suggests a dress, even if it’s not a silhouette you are considering, give it a try. You might be surprised.
Choosing Your Bridal Gown
When your heart leaps and you can’t stop grinning at the reflection in the mirror, you’ve found the right wedding dress. The salon will likely ask for a down payment and then order your dress. Over the next months, your dress will be created just for you. It should arrive a few months before your wedding so you have time for fittings and alterations at your salon. (See our full wedding dress shopping timeline.) You may feel like you’re waiting forever, but this is the perfect time to pick your wedding accessories and knock off other items on your wedding to-do list.
Ready to start shopping for wedding dresses? WeddingWire is here to help. Put in your location and search for the top salons in your area. Read reviews and start making appointments. Happy dress hunting!